All about cake... All about taste... All about love...
Chocolate ganaches are a standard base for a fondant (sugarpaste) covering, as they create a firm structure for the icing, ensuring the shape holds while still being delicious to eat.
Standard ganaches are made with high quality dark or white chocolate with cream, but can also be made with buttercreams and can be flavoured with fruit, coffee, etc.
Ganaches are essential under fondant, but for buttercream cakes they can also be useful to support the structure of cakes in warm conditions or when they need to travel.
Ganaches can also be used as a top coat themselves for a less uniform, more industrial/ rustic style.
Synthetic flavourings are out at Kasserina, where the cakes are created using natural ingredients and the best quality products.
Kass uses real fruit, real chocolate, real coffee, real coconut, etc. to produce our authentic flavours, so a Kasserina cakes come without any without any chemical aftertaste.
Kass also only uses fully ripened vanilla beans in our cakes, not under-matured "green" vanilla, which has a very different and distinctly less rounded, more chemical flavour. This "true" vanilla is not the cheap choice, but it's consistantly proven to be the best one for our customers.
Cake comes in many flavours, and here at Kasserina flavour is king, which is evidenced by the extensive range we offer.
These are tried and tested recipes that our customers (and our family) love. If you have a specific request, do say and Kass will always try to find that something special for you.
Don't forget, cakes can have different flavoured tiers or even different flavoured layers within them for added interest.
Please see below for a list of flavours, fillings and extra special touches.
Buttercream is a fantastic medium for flavour and combined with sponge can really give you a luxurious hug with each mouthful.
It is the usual filling between layers of sponge cake, and can be combined with other fillings. It can also be used to cover cakes, sealing in the moisture and giving a beautiful finish to your cake.
See below for alternative coverings for your cake.
Standard buttercream is an American style, but you can also choose a super-smooth and fluffy swiss meringue buttercream.
Fondant icing (also known as roll out or sugarpaste) is a smooth dough which is used to cover cakes and make decorations.
It is a fantastically adaptable medium, providing the perfect decoration for your cake. It can be tailored to match a colour, sculpted into gravity defying shapes, smoothed to produce a very clean finish, fashioned into flowers... the possibilities are endless.
Sealed inside a covering of fondant, your luxurious sponge is completely the same as any buttercream covered cake, just with an extra layer of icing on top so, even if you are not a fan of eating fondant, you can have the design you want without compromising on the flavours you love.
Ganache is the standard structural layer under fondant icing, although marzipan can also be used to create that perfect base for a crisp finish.
Please note: unlike many bakeries, Kass does not use gelatine in her fondant icing so your cake will be suitable to serve to vegetarian guests, and also to guests who cannot consume pork or beef products on religious grounds.
Make your cake as gorgeous on the inside as it is on the outside.
Adding extra fillings not only adds interest to the look of your cut cake, it adds a whole new level to the flavour profiles you can choose from!
Popular added fillings are salted caramel, fruit curds and jams, boozy compotes, fresh fruit, biscuit crumbs, pralines, toasted nuts, sweets, chocolate shavings and (of course) Nutella.
Cakes can also have an extra boozy element with your favourite spirit or liqueur drizzled into the sponge before covering or added to your buttercream.
Please see below list for pricing.
Because different recipes take different amounts of work, and some ingredients cost more than others, cake flavours are priced in bands.
Band 1 is for basic sponge recipes.
Band 2 for those that require special processes, nut flours, etc.
Band 3 is for recipes that involve boozy bits.
See below for a guide of which flavours belong to which band. This is not a finite list of flavours though. If there is a flavour you cannot see, please ask.
Price band 1: as per basic sponge cake quote, eg:
* Vanilla / Victoria sponge
* Chocolate fudge cake
* Lemon / Lemon and elderflower / Lemon and Basil drizzle cake
* Orange / orange spice/ orange and elderflower drizzle cake
* Coffee / coffee and cardamom cake
* Raspberry crush cake
* Red Velvet cake
* Caramel Biscoff cake
* White chocolate and raspberry
* Banana cake
* Chocolate orange cake
* Pumpkin pie spiced cake
* Rosemary cake
Price band 2: as per basic sponge cake quote, plus £8 per tier / 30 servings, eg:
* Slow roasted strawberry cake
* Blueberry crush cake
* Chocolate & Guinness cake
* Chocolate & dark cherry cake
* Carrot cake
* Baked apple & cinnamon cake
* Lime & rose sponge cake
* Coffee & walnut cake
* Orange & pistachio cake
* Greek honey cake
* Banana & poppy seed/banana and walnut cake
* Lemon & poppy seed drizzle cake
* Lemon & almond drizzle cake
* Baked pear & almond cake
* Coconut cake
* Mango & lime cake
* Slow roasted rhubarb & ginger cake
Price band 3: as per basic sponge cake quote, plus £11 per tier / 30 servings, eg:
* “Bakewell” almond sponge with Amaretto drizzle
* “Pina Colada” Coconut and pineapple sponge with Malibu drizzle
* “Gin and tonic” juniper cake with Gin drizzle
* “Mojito” lime and mint cake with Rum drizzle
* “Pimms” summer crush cake with Pimms drizzle
* “Black forest gateau” chocolate fudge cake with Kirsch drizzle
Fruit cakes: as per basic fruit cake quote, eg:
* Rich fruit cake with Sherry or Brandy
* Caribbean fruit cake with dark Rum
* Earl grey / English breakfast tea fruit cake
Optional Fillings, etc., eg:
* Real chocolate buttercreams add £3 per tier
* Lemon curd, salted caramel, nutella, fruit compotes, coconut (bounty style) cream, pralines, etc. add £5 each per tier
* Fresh fruit add £5 per tier
* Home made compotes with boozy boost (eg. dark cherry compote with Kirsche, Apple compote with Calvados) add £8 each per tier
* “Bounty bar” style coconut cream filling add £6
* Alcohol based buttercream (eg. Ameretto, Baileys, rum) add £8 per tier
* Swiss buttercreams (instead of standard American style) add £4 per tier
Food preferences / intollerences:
* for vegan cakes add £3 for each tier / per run of up to 12 cupcakes
* for cakes baked with Gluten Free flour add £4 per tier / per run of 12 cupcakes
Please note: Kasserina is not a Gluten-Free business and, just like and other kitchen that is not 100% Gluten-free only, we cannot accurately claim to make fully "Gluten-free" cakes. Because of this, our cakes cannot be deemed suitable for those with Celiac disease where the smallest amount of gluten can trigger an auto-immune response. We urge clients to err on the side of caution in all cases. Likewise, nuts and seeds are used in our kitchen so, while we strive to take as much care as we can, we urge clients to take no risks with the health of either themselves or their guests. Please refer to the page entitled "Bake me a cake" for more details. Thanks x
(Prices correct for Oct 21)