All about cake... All about taste... All about love...
Cake comes in many flavours and at Kasserina flavour is king.
We want your cake to look amazing. We want it to be the perfect centrepiece for your day. We want it to be everything you dreamt of... a big part of that is that it needs to taste as good as it looks!
Kasserina uses natural ingredients to flavour the cakes and chemical flavourings are banished. There's no lemon flavouring, we use real lemons. No strawberry flavouring, only real strawberries. Real chocolate, real almonds, real mango, real booze... well you get the gist.
We use authentic flavours, and the best natural ingredients so a Kasserina Cakes come without any chemical aftertaste, just a big hug of deliciousness.
Oh, and there's none of that vanilla-ish stuff either. Kasserina also only uses fully ripened vanilla beans in our cakes, not under-matured "green" vanilla, which has a very different and distinctly less rounded, more chemical flavour. This "true" vanilla is not the cheap choice, but it's consistantly proven to be the best one for our customers.
How a cake is made
For the inside, for each tier, there are three main things to consider;
1. what flavour sponge
2. what flavour buttercream
3. any extra fillings
I'll put some suggestions below, but these are only suggestions. If you have a specific request, please say.
NB. Fruit cake is a different animal so if this is your preference just ask.
For the outside, click the button below.
Suggested flavour combinations
Kasserina's USP really is the range and combination of flavours we offer. All of these are recipes I've created and refined over the years from my own experience. They really aren't offered anywhere else
The most popular crowd pleasers are the classics, but even these can be adapted to give them a little spin, for example:
* Lemon drizzle cake can have elderflower added, a blackcurrant jam filling instead of lemon curd or you could go a bit more continental and choose to have thyme or basil flavours in there instead.
* My chocolate fudge cake is a huge favourite, but you could choose to have a chocolate buttercream with salted caramel filling... or a Baileys buttercream with a brazil nut praline... or how about going full on 70's Black Forrest with a black cherry, dark chocolate and kirsche twist?
* The classic Victoria sponge cake is always a winner, but how about a slow roasted strawberry cake or a raspberry crush cake? Maybe a more earthy hug with Vanilla spiced Chai or go for vanilla's big brother, the Tonka bean cake?
Victoria sponge cake
Lemon drizzle cake
Chocolate fudge cake
Fresh and fruity
Earthy chocolate and vanillas
Standard buttercream is an American style, but you can also choose a super-smooth and fluffy swiss meringue buttercream.
Make your cake as gorgeous on the inside as it is on the outside.
Adding extra fillings not only adds interest to the look of your cut cake, it adds a whole new level to the flavour profiles you can choose from!
Popular added fillings are salted caramel, fruit curds and jams, boozy compotes, fresh fruit, cookie dough, pralines, toasted nuts, sweets, chocolate shavings and (of course) Nutella.
Cakes can also have an extra boozy element with your favourite spirit or liqueur drizzled into the sponge before covering or added to your buttercream.
Please see below list for pricing.
Fondant icing (also known as roll out or sugarpaste) is a smooth dough which is used to cover cakes and make decorations.
It is a fantastically adaptable medium, producing affordable bespoke decoration for your cake that can match the theme of your party. It can be tailored to match a colour, sculpted into gravity defying shapes, smoothed to produce a very clean finish, fashioned into flowers... the possibilities are endless.
Sealed inside a covering of fondant, your luxurious sponge is completely the same as any buttercream covered cake, just with an extra layer of icing on top so, if you are not a fan of eating fondant, you can have the design you want without compromising on the flavours you love.
Ganache (or marzipan if preferred) may be used under fondant icing to create a perfect base for a crisp finish, especially in hot conditions.
Please note: unlike many bakeries, we do not use gelatine in our fondant icing so your cake will be suitable to serve to vegetarian guests, and also to guests who cannot consume pork or beef products on religious grounds.
Because different recipes take different amounts of work, and some ingredients cost more than others, cake flavours are priced in bands.
Band 1 is for basic sponge recipes.
Band 2 for those that require special processes, nut flours, etc.
Band 3 is for recipes that involve boozy bits.
See below for a guide of which flavours belong to which band. This is not a finite list of flavours though. If there is a flavour you cannot see, please ask.
Price band 1: as per basic sponge cake quote, eg:
* Vanilla / Victoria sponge
* Chocolate fudge cake
* Lemon / Lemon and elderflower / Lemon and Basil drizzle cake
* Orange / orange spice/ orange and elderflower drizzle cake
* Coffee / coffee and cardamom cake
* Raspberry crush cake
* Red Velvet cake
* Caramel Biscoff cake
* White chocolate and raspberry
* Banana cake
* Chocolate orange cake
* Pumpkin pie spiced cake
* Rosemary cake
Price band 2: as per basic sponge cake quote, plus £8 per tier / 30 servings, eg:
* Slow roasted strawberry cake
* Blueberry crush cake
* Chocolate & Guinness cake
* Chocolate & dark cherry cake
* Carrot cake
* Baked apple & cinnamon cake
* Lime & rose sponge cake
* Coffee & walnut cake
* Orange & pistachio cake
* Greek honey cake
* Banana & poppy seed/banana and walnut cake
* Lemon & poppy seed drizzle cake
* Lemon & almond drizzle cake
* Baked pear & almond cake
* Coconut cake
* Mango & lime cake
* Slow roasted rhubarb & ginger cake
Price band 3: as per basic sponge cake quote, plus £11 per tier / 30 servings, eg:
* “Bakewell” almond sponge with Amaretto drizzle
* “Pina Colada” Coconut and pineapple sponge with Malibu drizzle
* “Gin and tonic” juniper cake with Gin drizzle
* “Mojito” lime and mint cake with Rum drizzle
* “Pimms” summer crush cake with Pimms drizzle
* “Black forest gateau” chocolate fudge cake with Kirsch drizzle
Fruit cakes: as per basic fruit cake quote, eg:
* Rich fruit cake with Sherry or Brandy
* Caribbean fruit cake with dark Rum
* Earl grey / English breakfast tea fruit cake
Optional Fillings, etc., eg:
* Real chocolate buttercreams add £3 per tier
* Lemon curd, salted caramel, nutella, fruit compotes, coconut (bounty style) cream, pralines, etc. add £5 each per tier
* Fresh fruit add £5 per tier
* Home made compotes with boozy boost (eg. dark cherry compote with Kirsche, Apple compote with Calvados) add £8 each per tier
* “Bounty bar” style coconut cream filling add £6
* Alcohol based buttercream (eg. Ameretto, Baileys, rum) add £8 per tier
* Swiss meringue buttercream (instead of standard American style) add £4 per tier
Food preferences / intollerences:
* for vegan cakes add £3 for each tier / per run of up to 12 cupcakes
* for cakes baked with Gluten Free flour add £4 per tier / per run of 12 cupcakes
Please note: Kasserina is not a Gluten-Free business and, just like and other kitchen that is not 100% Gluten-free only, we cannot accurately claim to make fully "Gluten-free" cakes. Because of this, our cakes cannot be deemed suitable for those with Celiac disease where the smallest amount of gluten can trigger an auto-immune response. We urge clients to err on the side of caution in all cases. Likewise, nuts and seeds are used in our kitchen so, while we strive to take as much care as we can, we urge clients to take no risks with the health of either themselves or their guests. Please refer to the page entitled "Bake me a cake" for more details.
(Prices correct for Oct 21)